Monday, November 17, 2008

#7 Speak with a Different Accent Day (A Minnesota Holiday)

Ever wish your MinnesOtan-ness wasn't quite so apparent? Speak with a Different Accent Day is a new state holiday that allows Minnesotans to imagen they're not from quite so far up nOrth. Time to try that Hungarian accent you've been practicing. Or time to make up your own mutant accent that denies you're from anywhere near the Midwest.

And there's a special bonus. It won't be just another ordinary day at school or the workplace. There are fun activities that people of any age can participate in. Listen to recordings of different accents and try to immitate them. Have awards for the most realistic accent or the most hilarious accent.

The mascot of Speak with a Different Accent Day is a parrot, due to its uncanny ability to immitate. Consequently, the colors for this holiday are red, green, and yellow. But really, you can decorate with any color you've ever seen a parrot wear.

So, practice that Portuguese accent you've always wanted to master and pull it out on May 11. (Which is not coincidentally the same date that Minnesota was admitted to the Union.) Impress all your MinnesOtan friends and show them that you're so tired of long o's that you're willing to pretend you come from Australia.

3 comments:

qb1991 said...

Ha what an interesting holiday choice! I wouldnt be able to get into this, but love the concept, because I've always loved the british accents!!! :) Yes, Minnesotans have a very funny accent. Moving up here, I realized how different you guys speak! It has a more nasally flow to the speech at hand. What is interesting is that it sounds so normal to you guys, but so very different to me. Bringing this up, I've always wanted to hear what people sound like on a different level. As an activity, our class could all have British accents and play one of those murder mystery games where we all dress up and one of us is the murderer and slowly kills off everyone and those remaining people get to deduce who the killer is. This is a much better idea than pop culture day!!!!! Well done, I could get into this holiday.

cjokinen77 said...

This would be a very funny holiday to celebrate. Watching everybody butcher British and Austrailian accents would be hilarious. I would probably not win any awards, because I am terrible and immitating accents. But if I were to celebrate Speak with a Different Accent Day, I would choose to speak in a Boston accent. I think Boston accents are awesome and it would be fun to try and talk in one for a whole day. I really liked your idea, good job.

Montag said...

I'm not really sure if I'd get into this holiday or not. Joking around with friends, I probably would. I'd ring up my buddy in New Zealand, and I'd tell him to rate my New Zealand accent. It'd be sweet. I've never really been a fan of people pretending to have accents, I always find it mortally embarrassing for that person, but if there was a holiday for it, I think I'd be more comfortable with sticking it out and just being goofy. So as my pal from Kiwi-land says, Good job, aye. : )